Sunday, July 15, 2012

May 2012 Prayer Update: Affliction and Opportunity

Greetings from San Diego!  This update comes with a few pieces of exciting news in our lives and ministry and some personal thoughts on the passing of my mom.  If you were to tell me four months ago of the ways God was going to bring change into our lives, I am not quite sure I would fathom it.  And when I think about Tess and my life the last three or four years, I never would have guessed all that we would go through, trusting God through much pain, disappointment, and brokenness.  However, friends, I can tell you He is so good and is always refining us to be more like Christ. 
               

The biggest piece of news in our ministry is actually quite a big deal.  We have been asked to take over the leadership and direction of the University of California, San Diego Navigator Campus Ministry.  Our former leader and director, Tim, has felt the Lord leading and calling he and his family into a new avenue of ministry to 20 something’s in the city of San Diego.  They begin that work beginning in June.  The responsibility of leading our staff team, directing the ministry, and building up the work of Jesus through the Navigators at UCSD has been handed off to me, beginning immediately. 
               

This new role has come at an obviously trying and painful time for us personally, yet Tess and I greet it with great excitement, faith, humility, and honor.  We are privileged to have two fantastic teammates continuing on with us next year, Diana and Lawrence.  As we pray about what we are being asked to take on, we have felt a peace in trusting God’s leading.  I am personally excited to approach a new challenge of leading a team for the first time, trusting the Lord in faith for a big movement of the Gospel and discipleship at UCSD, and experiencing all He wants to do in our life.  Our heart is for the college campus, seeing students changed by the Gospel of Jesus, being sent out as laborers for the harvest, equipped to make disciples everywhere they go!  Thank you for faithfully praying as we continue processing this transition and praying to know God’s will for the UCSD ministry. 
               

We will be sending out our latest newsletter later this month on many exciting relationships happening on campus and in our core group of students.  Heading in to next year, we are feeling great about the momentum God is creating.  More on the ministry is soon to come!
               

On a personal note, Tess and I are trying to rest deeply in the Lord as we face the loss of my mom in March.  This has been an incredibly painful time, realizing I will never be able to have another conversation with her, knowing the glue that held our family together is gone, and that our time here on earth together has come to a close.  However, it has been an incredibly hopeful time as well, knowing her painful battle is over and she is with Jesus face to face now.  Like the rest of our family, we are still processing the grief and mourning together with others.   My mom is the best example of finishing well in the race of faith that I have witnessed and it is an honor to live the legacy she left behind.  Through this time, Tess has been such a faithful friend and loving wife, helping me process this gigantic loss and often just sitting and letting me talk about her and cry.  She and Mom had a very sweet friendship these last 4 years.  Unfortunately, Tess and her parents have faced a family death in April as well, as Tess’s granddaddy went to be with the Lord.  As you pray, would you pray we would feel the Lord’s goodness and peace in this time of turmoil and sadness? 
               

At times I feel like we could share for hours and hours and pages and pages about all God is teaching us, growing in us, doing in the ministry, and other thoughts.  However, knowing this email is so long this month, I will try to hold off ;)  Really, Tess and I just count it one of life’s greatest blessings to have each of you in our lives, faithfully standing with us in prayer, and loving us where we are at in life.  We are truly blessed and honored to have you in our life.  Thank you for lifting us up in prayer as the Lord brings us to mind and for your friendship, whether near or far.
                          Clinging to Christ and His Word,
                                                   Stephen and Tessica

These have been some of the verses that have spoken to me greatly the last few months.  Thank you for praying with us!
Psalm 119: 73-77
73 Your hands have made and fashioned me;
     give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.
74 Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice,
    because I have hoped in your word.
75 I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous,
    and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76 Let your steadfast love comfort me
    according to your promise to your servant.
77 Let your mercy come to me, that I may live;
    for your law is my delight.

No comments: